Wednesday, February 14, 2007

TOEIC Result

Today, I received result of the TOEIC exam that I took about two weeks ago.
A bit surprised because it takes usually one or two months to receive
the score sheet. At least till the last time.

I got 60 points down, but it's not the point today.

Here are two interesting graphs which I draw using my TOEIC score data.



The right one above is a time series Listening versus Reading scores ratio.
A value greater than one means I got better Listening score than Reading.
In general, it's often said that usually practical English speakers
are better in Listening than Reading. As for me, I'd been good at
English classes during my school days. I'm not sure the current
school English teaching system well, but anyway in those days the English
classes were Reading and Writing oriented. I mean it's not oriented
for oral comprehension in English.
I think that's why I got better result in Reading than Listening
in the first two years when I was not used to communicate with foreign people
in English. I didn't speak English almost at all last year, thus a bit
surprised. Maybe it kept my Listening score that I listened to reading
of my favorite books such as Narnia Chronicles on my way to office
and back to home.

The left one shows time series development of my *relative* TOEIC scores
where 1.0 means the first score I got. The red line is a fit curve using
a quadratic function, y = a*x^2+b*x+c. The point is, the first coefficient 'a'
is minus! The graph says that I have already passed my peak around autumn
of 2005. :(

Oooooops.....

2007/02/14

No comments: