Wednesday, April 28, 2004

The Footprints of God, and Digital Fortress

Recently, I read two novels on super computers and cryptgraphy.

One is "The Footprints of God" by Greg Iles, and the other is "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown.

Iles' one is about a next generation super computer that can break any codes. On the contrary, Brown's one is about an ultimate code that cannot be broken by the most powerful computer in the world.

As a lover of Sci-Fi novels and software engineer, I have to admit that I would prefer Iles' book to Brown's because the super computer is also described as the world first successfully build Artificial Intelligence.
I felt that Iles' book is, in a sense, like "Childhood's End" by Arthur C Clerk. His perspective of
A.I. evolution is interesting because it includes various aspects of humanity such as phychogy, gender or so.

So far as the Brown's book, technology and science are just gadgets.
Brown is one of the best story tellers, and the story is thrilling very much. In addition, IMHO, he is implicitly pointing out a problem that USA is now facing, "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes." It's "Who will gurds the gurd?" in English. Thus, I guess the book could be one of best sellers.

Meanwhile, one thing by which I was turned off is that proper nouns such as the creator's name, Tankado, and adages used in the book sound strange. I wish Brown could have asked native Japanese speaking people if they are really natural Japanese phrases. I guess when the book is translated into Japanese the translator would ask Brown what Brown really means. :(

One more thing.
I broke the second last code of the Brown's novel in 10 seconds. I guess even a junior high school student would do so, and what other readers would feel about that. :o)



No comments: