Thursday, June 12, 2008

On VMI, Again

3 days ago, I saw linux console messages which says "VMI Rom detected" for the first time using VMware ESX Server 3.5U1 and vanilla linux kernel 2.6.25.

The below white paper by VMware says that we can get better throughput even using DBMS benchmarks such as sysbench.
I did a kind of DBMS benchmarks, and I expected lower CPU consumption rate against the same macroscopic workload because in general lower CPU cost is one of the major advantages of para-virtualization. But, what I got was almost the same CPU consumption rate and I was a bit disappointed. :(

But, there is only 32bit mode of VMI support and I guess it's still early stage.
That means there can be a room working on that area. :)

BTW, for me, the biggest problem is that reducing sleeping time is the only way for me working on such issue. I'm wondering if someone can employ me instead of my current employer ... :o

No comments: