Wednesday, March 28, 2007

oprofile

Recently, at work I'm using a Linux kernel built-in proiler, oprofile.I didn't know so far several features like the followings.
  1. It's possible to collect system wide symbol information including even JavaVM by specifying just like the below. I mean without any binary image files.
    # opreport -lc
  2. It's not simple to collect symbol information of loadable kerel modules. :(

Anyway, oprofile is a really useful tool because in the first place it's a kernel built-in utility. That means we do not need to re-compile nor modify the target kernel. :)

Here are my seeveral things to do.

  • Try other CPU events than timer such as TLB miss.
  • Establish a how-to to collect lkm (loadable kenel module) information.
  • Finish writing up analysis howto for my colleagues.
  • Finish writing up analysis scripts of oprofile (human readable) log files.
  • etc.

BTW, actually I wrote two analysis scripts on my way back home Today in the train.
I'm wondering whether I should make it public as GPL2 like this one or not because I spent no woking time... :o

Here are several useful links (for Japanese users).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That seems really convenient! I will keep that under my arm in case I need it... Thanks for the link!