Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Ferengi Rules of Aquisition

I love the StarTrek series very much. :)

Among aliens there, Ferengi would be one of the most impressive races.
They are known as the best merchants in in the alpha quadrant of the Galactic System.

Their strength in earning money comes from their philosophy, or so called the Rules of Acquisiton.

Here are some literatures of the rules in English and Japanese.
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Ferengi_Rules_of_Acquisition (English)
http://homepage1.nifty.com/maxwarp/ferengi.html (Japanese)

Reading both of them, I found there are several differences of nuance, and I felt a bit Ferengi philosophy is a mixture of existing ones in the world. But, they are not the points today.

Here are my favorite rules.
  • #7 Keep your ears open.
  • #60 Keep your lies consistent.
  • #162 Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit.
  • (Unwritten rule) When no appropriate rule applies, make one up.
Esepecially, the second and the last. :o
Note that #7 is saying "ears" not "eyes." I believe you can understand why looking at Ferengi people physical appearance. :)

BTW, I didn't know there were several books about Ferengi and their rules of acquisiton.
For example, the below. I want it. :o

"The Ferengi Rules of Acquisiton"
ISBN 978-0671529369

No comments: