Saturday, March 24, 2007

La Forza del Destino

Today, I went to the New National Theatre Tokyo to see "La Forza del Destino" ("運命の力" in Japanese) with my wife.
The theatre is located in Hatsudai, one station from Shinjuku station via Keio-Shinsen line (a subway line). Please note that the tower in the left picture below is not a part of the theatre although its name is Tokyo Opera City. Actually, they were built in collaboration with the goverment and nongovermental organizations.


As you can see in the second and the third pictures, the theatre is contemporary and very good one.

EXCEPT!

Their seats.
Compared to seats of other new theatres in Tokyo, their cushion is not good. Both of us felt pain on our hips. :(

Well, let's get down to the main subject. :)

Originally, my father-in-law was to see this performance with my wife. But, because of a family stuff he could not make it and I was his replacement. :o
It's my first experience to see a classic opera and so at first I afraid I could feel sleepy because it's spoken (sung?) in Italian completely. But, he generously sent us a DVD and we had a time to learn the story line. One more thing which made me surprised was Japanese opera theatres has a big display for subtitle in Japanese. :o
Thus, we could enjoy the performance well. :)



Here are some notes about the performance.
  • Conductor : Maurizio Barbacini
  • Leonora : Indra Thomas
  • Don Alvaro : Mizuguchi Satoshi
  • Don Carlo : Vladimir Chernov
  • Preziosilla : Michiko Hayashi
  • Padre Guardiano : Hidekazu Tsumaya

No comments: