Thursday, April 23, 2009

Compressed (LZH) Folders

LZH format is one of major compression format at least in Japan.

I didn't know that Microsoft added LZH format for compressed folders recently.
After passing Genuine Microsoft Software check, now the extension seems to be offered by Microsoft for Japanese version Windows XP and Vista.

The left below shows the icon for an LZH format archive file, and the right below shows properties dialog of an LZH file.



There are several restrictions.
  1. It's not supported by Microsoft, it's provided as is.
  2. The extension does not support compression, it does only de-compression.
    Thus, we cannot add files to an LZH archive file nor create an LZH format archive.
Actually, there are many LHA format archiver which are implemented as shell extensions. But, so far as I know, all of them extract LHA files temporary and I didn't like that. I wanted to handle LZH archive files like Compressed (Zipped) folders for browsing contents of LZH files.

The extension resolved the issue, and I'm happy now. :)

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Does that extension work on other languages? I want to buy a Japanese Windows computer soon.