Saturday, June 13, 2009

One Thousand and One Nights



Le Liver Des Mille Nuits Et Une Nuit (1/13)
Translated to French by J.C. Mardrus
ISBN 4-00-327801-1 (Japanese translation)

From the frame story (Night 0) to Night 24.

Befor reading this book, I've been thinking that One Thousand and One Nights is a collection of tales like "Araddin's Wonderful Lamp" or "Ali Baba and Forty Thieves." But, I was a bit surprised that it's full of topics for adults, here I mean various forms of erotica. In this sense, maybe it's a bit like "the Decameron." :o
BTW, I have still 12 books of the series to read. In other word, there are stories for more than 900 nights! :o
As the story takes a form of hierarchical structure, I mean, a character who appears in a tale begins to narrate another story and so on repeatedly, I'm not sure if I can keep catching up the main story line. :o

No comments: