Saturday, May 02, 2009

In Memory of Kiyoshiro

Today, one of the greatest rock singers in Japan, Kiyoshiro Imawano (忌野清志郎), past away because of cancer. He was 58 years old.

Although the English page of Wikipedia does not have much information, but as the Japanese page says, Kiyoshiro was not like any other musicians, and in a sense, he established a style of singing rock music in Japanese.

As for me, I loved YMO (Yellow Magic Orchestra) when I was a junior high school student, and he appeared as the singer of the tune below (い・け・な・いルージュマジック) which is in collaboration with Ryuichi Sakamoto who is, needless to say, a member of YMO.
In those days, I felt his song a bit strange, but still I thought that this singer is something special.
-

-
One more his work I want to refer here is a collaboration session with Akiko Yano singing "Hitotsudake (ひとつだけ)" which means "The Only One Thing." As I wrote several times, I love Yano's songs, and listening to the song especially I'm always moved to the point of tears.
Furthermore, Kiyoshiro's voice has something special and appeals to me especially with the lyrics.
-

-
It was really a great loss of Japan...
I prayed for the repose of Kiyoshiro's soul today.

No comments: