Thursday, May 14, 2009

Cloud Storage

Today, I saw a small demo of S*Plex3 Cloud Storage Service by SKY Perfect JSAT Corporation.
Their press release published on May 12, 2009 can be found here, but it's only in Japanese. :(

At first, I thought it's an yet another Google File System clone, and indeed their architecture is similar to GFS. But, they focused on satellite broadcasting data, that is, streaming data. Thus, S*Plex3 seems to have achieved a good resilience for multiple faults.

The demo system which I saw seems to consist of a 90 nodes clustered file server and a video access client. The video data is divided into many chunks and stored in the cluster redundantly.

I was impressed seeing that the video play was not affected even 1/4 of the 90 nodes file server were down by unpluging their LAN cables.

I'm wondering why they do not publish the press release in English to all over the world...

No comments: