Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Java World Day 2008

Today, I went to Java World Day 2008 held in Shinagawa, Tokyo.
Actually, I wanted to listen to a talk by Gregor Hohpe of Google, which is titled "Programming the Cloud : Internet as a Platform."

http://www.infoq.com/interviews/gregor-hohpe-conversations

Basically, he talked about fundamental technologies constructing Google
those of Google File System, MapReduce, sawzall and so on. He introduced also
Google App Engine and furthermore gave us a small live demo using that.

Among his presentation, what was impressive for me was new ACID idea.
(Ha ha, I knew the new ACID thing for the first time at the conference at this time of day...)
  • NewACID
    • A - Associative
    • C - Commutative
    • I - Idempotent
    • D - Distributed
  • OLD ACID
    • A - Atomic
    • C - Consistent
    • I - Isolated
    • D - Durable
Under the Internet environment where unpredictable amount of transactions
arrive at a web site, I can understand that application must have the new
ACID property in order to scale out. But, I'm wondering what we can do to run classical multi-tier web systems with RDBMS on cloud computing environment...
Maybe it's an open question...

No comments: