Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Linux World Expo Tokyo 2008



Today, I went to the Linux World Expo Tokyo 2008 held at Tokyo Big Sight.

I attended at two sessions.

One is about a cloud computing project of a Chinese city located close to Shanghai.
Although it's a presentation about overview of the local goverment driven project. I mean, not so technical one. But, what impressive for me was that the speaker mentioned they are producing 6000 IT engineers a year! :o
Amazing, and it's impossible to compete with them... :(

The other is a talk about a case study of server consolidation using Linux and Xen given by a famous guy in Japanese open source community. His presentation was very good, and the presentation is available below:

http://www.virtualtech.jp/download/080528LinuxWorldCaseStudy.pdf

At work, I'm also working on virtualization recently, and I was wondering if I/O could be really bottleneck when we try to do server consolidation. Actually, I was feeling network would be more serious bottleneck than I/O after looking into source codes of Linux and Xen.

But, I'm feeling I've understood the point.
Indeed we often see I/O bottlenecks at server consolidation scenes, but it's mainly because system integrators forget to scale up I/O capacity appropriately, not I/O is more troublesome than network from a viewpoint of performance.

No comments: