Thursday, May 29, 2008

Jack of All Trades, Master of None

Today, I attended at a small party of Japanese NetBSD freaks (hackers?) held at Akihabara.

Well, it's a honour of me to see Mr. Fujiwara and other famous *BSD related people, and it's a great pity that I had only one hour there because I have to go home to take a bath with my daughter. :(
But anyway, thanks Tokuda-san for inviting me! :)


BTW, during the party I was feeling that I have almost nothing to talk about my works.
Granted that I have worked on operating systems about 10 years, but actually there are almost not public works of me. Also, because of my experience on operating systems, I worked on various software including Linux/Xen/Apache/JVM/UltraMonkey/OpenSSL etc. and did well (I think, at least) for these several years. But, I realized (again after several years interval) that I haven't had done any notable works at all. And to make matters worse, I've not fixed nor concentrated my main interest area.

In Japanese, there is a phrase, "器用貧乏" (Kiyou-Binbou), which roughly means "Jack of all trades, master of none". The phrase describes me exactly.
On my way back home and since then, I've been in a depression. :(

Maybe it's better to consider changes of circumstance (again).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Time for a beer then. When are you free?