Friday, May 30, 2008

4D2U and Mitaka

I found an interesting article.
It's about a project, called 4D2U, of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan.

The URL is below:
4D2U means "the Four Dimensional Digital Universe Project, and their English home page is here.
Roughly speaking the project is developing visualization tools showing how our universe looks like. Especially, one of their works called "Mitaka" is great. Using Mitaka, we can see our universe at the scale of tens of billion light years!
Really, fascinating. :)

BTW, I have to confess that I found the article while I was searching web pages related to Maaya Sakamoto. Yes, I was looking for information about her song, "Gravity". :o

One more thing.
"Mitaka" is name of the place where the observatory is located.
But, Mitaka is an impressive place for me in two more senses.
First, I'm working for a system integrator now, and in Mitaka there is one of the biggest (and possibly most legacy) IT systems in Japan. Of course, they always have bunch of troubles, and that the system absorbs(!) a lot of engineers. :o
Second, in Mitaka there is one of the biggest institute in Japan mainly working on information technology. At work, I sometimes get help calls from the institute, but often the help calls are really poor ones. :(
I'm always wondering where their speciality went away?

No comments: