Monday, March 31, 2008

A Simple VMware Guest Statistics Collector

Since the beginning of the last year, I've been working on virtualization issues at work, and I did some research works on VMware ESX Server recently.

About 1 year ago when I worked on Xen, the biggest problem was resource monitoring.
I got similar problem this time too, but the situation was better than that time.

VMware provides several SDKs for management such as VMware Guest SDK.
Using VMware Guest SDK, we can collect basic resource usage information on guest operating systems (Linux or Windows). This feature is quite useful I think, and
I wrote a small statistics collector for Linux guests using the SDK above.
It's available here, and I hope the small tool is useful for people working on VMware ESX Server. :)

At this moment, the tool I wrote is beta status and almost no documentation. :(
I built the tool and did some basic tests using VMware-GuestSDK-3.5.0-64557.tar.gz available in the above URL.

BTW, the download URL will be moved to Kusanagi Project as soon as enough tests have done.

No comments: