Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Selfish Gene

The Selfish Gene
Richard Dawkins
ISBN 4-314-00556-4

Finally, I finished this book after several years since I bought it.
The primary reason I thought to work on this book again is that
there was interesting discussion on the Yokohama Linux Users Group ML
about Windows dominance in the share of operating systems.

There, a guy mentioned if it's possible to achieve a breakthrough
in challanging the Windows dominance if each of us got more cleverer and
shoot for the collective optimization of the society.
The essetntial point of the opinion is that it assumes hehavior
of us orienting toward NOT oneself BUT society.
In a sense, it's altruism.
Another point is that it's an idea about activities of open source software
development and promotion of them.

Then, another guy pointed out that's against the theory of evolution
by Dawkins. The point of the opposition is that altruism cannot survive.
In other word, a gene which drives its carrier into altruism cannot
compete with selfish genes and will be culled.

At first, I felt their points are somehow crossed. But, I couldn't figure out
the idea which explains the gap.

After reading the book, I came to "Meme."
At this moment, I'm not sure if there are established theories
of memes evolution, but anyway I got some more books and online articles to read . :)

No comments: